What you are going to read here is the IDEA and the PROGRAM of a very special teacher education in DNS in Denmark. It is a progressive education leading to a Licenciate (Bachelor) degree in Pedagogical Science. The college that offers this education is called D N S, short for Det Nødvendige Seminarium which translates to English as The Necessary Teacher Training College. DNS offers a lifestyle and a learning process driven and nurtured by the group – the team of around 30 DNS‐students and their teachers – the common ground they build together, the decisions they make in unison and the big results which stem from their midst. You are hereby invited to join in. The DNS program is made for you to become a person in your own right. A human being ‐ not defined by your job or your salary, but by your humanity and personal values and skills, your ability to live and work together with others, and to bring changes and new and better conditions. DNS programme educates you as a teacher. In your future work you will enable your students to understand the many phenomena of the world, you will teach them a big amount of knowledge and you will share a lot of your own experiences and attitudes with them. A teacher plays an important role in society – especially in a society where more and more people – parents and children ‐ get marginalized, discriminated and become poor – not only in material things, but indeed in lack of proper care and attention in school and lack of opportunities. For all students – rich or poor – the big task for the teacher is to prevent alienation and create a human culture building bridges between all kinds of people.
We know that you cannot do it alone. You need cooperation with your friends and team mates and guidance from your teachers. You will need a busy program to challenge you, and make you do much more than you thought possible. A program that needs to be conquered – by you. Welcome to this progressive teachers education.
1st Year: The International Field of Practice
9 months: Training in experiencing and understanding the Global reality
3 months: Training in productive work, building on own efforts to save up money for your training.
• Design and prepare bus for the Africa travel
• Travel with buses – at least 10 students and a teacher in each bus through the Sahara desert to several West African counties. The study strip lasts for 4 months.
• Experience the diverse realities of African communities
• Investigate local and global issues
• Live and learn with the local people
• Spread the word and discuss our current and future role in the world
• Present your conclusions, products, presentations in schools and youth clubs around Europe
• Save up money for your education
2nd Year: The European Practice Field
6 months: Working period in a large European town. Living a rich and active
cultural and political life, with continued studies and investigations, organizing cultural events, interacting with the local community. Living and working in a group.
3 months: Specialization Period I at the DNS College in Tvind. Continuing studies and starting to zoom in on The School Practice Field. Action research in groups of three.
3 months: ''Do what you find most appropriate to do” ‐ a subject suitable for a future teacher. Identity between idea and action, between knowing and doing, is a precondition for making things happen.
• Get yourself a working class job – learn about the reality of your students and their parents
• Write and edit a book with essays about workers’ lives in Europe
• Study reality of Europe ‐ present, past and future
• “The House” ‐ create weekly cultural programs, with speeches and debates, art exhibitions, music, dance etc. Inspiring and thought provoking programs
• Work and live together practicing sustainable lifestyle
3rd year: The School Practice Field
8 months: Experiencing and understanding the reality of students and teachers in a European school setting.å
Getting close to the students, their parents, and to the school subjects with their contents and methods.
8 months: working as substitute teacher in a public school settings in Europe, or in local Danish schools and care-homes for students with learning difficulties
4 months: Pedagogic Specialization at the DNS College in Tvind including 1 months of final exams.
• You will work as a substitute teacher
• Establishing Pedagogical Workshops
• “The House” ‐ create weekly cultural programs, with speeches and debates, art exhibitions, music, dance etc. Inspiring and thought provoking programs.
• Working and living together practicing sustainable lifestyle
• Action research
• The skills of a teacher – The eyes wide open, the hands well trained and the mind flying over the dust of the Earth
• Sociology of a child, a group and an institution
The program is organized so that you can feel yourself working your way up to the next level, becoming more and more skilled and experienced. Each period will be a new challenge. You will learn and train more skills, you will know and understand new things, and you will work and do things on a higher level. At the end of each year, you have a week of evaluation with your team at the DNS campus in Denmark.
Our next team at DNS is starting their education on the 1st of September.
The saving up period prior to the education has started. If you are interested by now (or know of anybody who might be interested), you can do this:
1. Visit www.oneworldcenter.eu
2. Fill out and send us your application form for DNS
3. Get a phone call from one of us at the Promotion Office
4. Join a Preparatory Weekend at the college in Denmark
5. Have a admission meeting with DNS teachers about your personal matters and economy – agree a saving up plan for yourself
6. Pay the enrolment fee and fill in the enrolment paper. You have enrolled yourself!
There is a preparatory weekend every month. Write me to get an invitation for next one.
We are looking forward to hear from you.
And read more at: www.oneworldcenter.eu
Study Big Issues of our Time, use new methods of learning, become a good team player and take a progressive education - DNS has 40 years of experience - and you can succeed at your teacher education with no doubts! Welcome.
Term: 36 Months
For more Information about 36 Month Program, please fill out this Form!